HECATE'S BLOG:
Helping Citizen Activists Through the Political Process


Hecate knows how easy it is for ordinary citizens and experienced community leaders to be intimidated by imposing capital city buildings, bustling bureaucrats and puffed up politicians. Hecate is ready to help.

Submit a question for Hecate’s Blog to Hecate@realclout.org, and, if she thinks your question is particularly interesting and the answer might be helpful to a wide audience, she will post them here.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Road to Perdition

Hecate:

I am a local elected official responding to your last comment excusing rank and file legislators who don't read long complex and complicated legislation being pushed through by the "leadership" in the closing hours of a long session because they (the rank and file legislator)don't have the time or the technical expertise to interpert all the information distributed via fact sheets and briefings.

That excuse sounds like the one the Democrats in Washington are using to whine about their stupid vote for the war that was based on bad information from a President they neither trusted or respected at the time. I think the Vice President has a point calling this kind of behavior "shameless, reprehensible, dishonest and corrupt".

I know I read every single local ordinance before I have to vote on it, and carry out some independent research to boot. If I'm suspicious of bad information, I move to postpone the vote or if I lose the postponement, I abstain from the vote, and make a public statement accordingly. To behave otherwise is to take the first step on the road to perdition.

Hecate responds:

You are a practically perfect person, and the Road to Perdition is pretty crowded anyway.